sagebrush

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

First Practice

On March 7th I drove to Fredericksburg to visit my nephew who lives in rural area. Great place to site your new guns in. Plenty of woods around nice for shooting.

It was the perfect opportuniy to try my two new colts. Setup safety perimeter and discussed the safety rules with everyone shooting. Plugged our ears and had a blast.

When we finished shooting I gave the one gun a though cleaning. My dad used to say, "if you take care of your weapon, it will take care of you." One weapon would not fire. The firing pin did not engage the primer cap; in fact if did not go forward near the cylinder.

When I returned to Richmond I examined the gun. Wanted to be in safe surrounds with no one around. Upon closer examination I found the the cylinder rod was too far back in a locked position so naturally the hammer and firing pin would not strike the primer cap. I made the adjustment and now appears to work fine. At least I could now see the pin near the cylinder.

Assume this is a safety feature for new guns. Good idea when traveling for safety precautions. I am sure I will use this in the future to transport them to Cowboy Action Matches.

No comments:

Post a Comment