sagebrush

Sunday, May 3, 2009

First Cowboy Action Shooting Match


Today I visited the Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club in Montpelier, Virginia. What a first impression! I was not sure if the weather conditions would allow a match today; that would soon be put to rest because it appears CAS’s are die hard people and shoot no matter what. My purpose for the visit was to fully observe and ask better questions. I though it best to consult with experienced people on the range before making any more purchases of firearms, clothing, ammo and accessories.


Friendly, courteous, hospitable, warm, not enough words to describe the great reception I received. I believe these people would give you the shirt off their back. I did not intend to participate in the shooting match this day, but they insisted. I was overwhelmed and did not know what to say.

Participation requires 1 rifle, 1 shotgun, 2 handguns, holster, ammo, and some accessories. To-date I only have a holster, 2 handguns, cowboy hat & boots, some ammo. I sold most of my weapons years ago. Within what seemed like minutes shooters collectively provided me with EVERYTHING I needed to participate in the shooting match. One member let me use his rifle and shotgun, another member loaned me a shotgun belt, other members loaned me various ammo and so on. It was like one-stop shopping of all the things I did not have and did not know I needed. They asked only that in the future I do the same for someone in my position. A philosophy I live by so I was happy to see it exists here.


A better lesson I could not have had because experiencing it answered in a personal way the questions I came to ask. The personal attention I received you could not pay for. My questions were answered; my mistakes and errors were graciously pointed out to me. Safety was the first priority. I thought I had been taught sa

fety, but CAS places an entirely different spin, on having fun, while being extremely conscious of how to protect yourself and the shooters around you in this group setting. If I learned nothing else today it was I need a gun cart. I have now begun with lots to learn and a long journey ahead of me.


Cowboys and cowgirls, because I met two of the nicest ladies you will ever meet; this is the most fun you could ever have inside the legal city limits. My thanks to everyone for a wonderful and fun day.




No comments:

Post a Comment